Tuesday, July 16, 2013

TWD/BWJ: Summer Vegetable Tart


I'm in love! I'm in love! I'm in love! Did I mention that I'm in love?!? You know, just when I think that Tuesdays With Dorie is getting a little old, or too much, or I don't know enough and should probably drop out - a fabulously easy and amazing recipe comes along. Can I shout out a huge THANK YOU to whoever has been picking the last several recipes? I think I'm getting a second wind here.


















True confessions: I've never used phyllo before. I mean NEVER. I expected something hard to work with. Beyond my abilities. Have only eaten it in baklava from a restaurant. And that's just not something I'd want to make an entire pan of. But - hello? - phyllo as a crust? filled with an assortment of sauteed vegetables? Let me say it again - let me shout it from the highest rooftop - I'M IN LOVE!


I could make this any old time. And no, I didn't stick with the "exact" recipe as far as the filling goes. Heck, there was a variety of CSA stuff in the fridge that needed to be used, why buy mushrooms? This is a perfect recipe for using up leftovers, which is exactly what I filled it with. I cut the kernels off a leftover cob of corn, chopped up a couple of squash, even threw in some previously cooked green beans and a couple of pieces of bacon from the latest round of BLTs. And tossed in some feta (it's what I had). I can imagine this filled with roasted root vegetables in the fall. Oh my gosh, it took serious willpower to keep from eating the entire thing by myself in one sitting. 

The only thing that stopped me was the thought of dessert. I'm going to share another incredible discovery. If you haven't had Graeter's ice cream, well, let's say it's worth the splurge.



Last by not least, here's a boot that I spied on our own street, complete with a matching belt (look closely in the distance). Some days, I can't believe the things that show up.


7 comments:

  1. Yes - this is a great leftover user upper... And yes, yes, yes to the Graeters!

    RE: collard green pesto. Epicurious (dot) com has a collard green olive pesto recipe - that is the one I used. At the height of CSA season last year, I was getting hit with so many greens that I couldn't use fast enough I went on a pesto binge and froze batches upon batches in ice cube trays and pulled them out all winter long... If you can't find the recipe on that site, let me know and I'll figure out how to get it to you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cher! I found it! Now I'm prepared for the onslaught of collards. I love 'em, but there's only so many you can eat at once.

      Delete
  2. This was the perfect recipe to use up anything one has in the fridge! Oh my! A belt and a shoe! Gets one thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was my first time using phyllo too and I had pretty good luck with it too. :) It really is an easy recipe and a great one to use up veggies. I look forward to making it again as well. I liked the lightness of the phyllo, was perfect for a summer meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you did a great job with the phyllo! I have been using it for years and if you don’t defrost it correctly it could be a real pain to work with. So glad it worked so well for you. Your tart came out lovely! This one was a hit in my house, too…a definite keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen Graeter's but it looks excellent. Where do you buy it? I agree, I've been really happy with the recent TWD recipe choices too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jora, it showed up in our Kroger store this year. Very expensive - usually about $6 for that little container. But it's been on sale for $4 lately, so I've been accumulating a little stash. Every flavor we've tried has been outstanding.

      Delete