Sunday, February 19, 2012

Proper Tools Make All the Difference

I always knew this where quilting was concerned. Any Bernina owner will agree. "Nothing sews like a Bernina. Nothing." It's not just a slogan. It's the truth.

But when it came to cooking, I made do with whatever I had on hand. And yes, I probably could have gone another 25 years without knowing that my oven is 50 DEGREES HOTTER than the dial indicates.  No wonder I've had a tendency to burn everything! Suspecting that it ran hot, I've always set the temp a little less than recipes call for, but still assumed I'd done something wrong when things came out over-cooked. Did I mention that our stove is a "classic"? No doubt it's older than I am. Explains the hot flashes. Poor thing.

Which is all to say that it's been a revelation to have a simple oven thermometer.  I treated myself to this little luxury when I went to Cook's Warehouse for tart pans. Decided that if I'm going to learn to bake, I might as well buy the proper tools. Also picked up an instant-read thermometer (didn't have it for the bread recipe) and a dough scraper.  And yes, I spent $36 on 6 little tart pans but am thrilled to have them.  Think I'll be getting to know the woman at Cook's Warehouse.

Oh, and guess what else I found this week?  Was at the library looking for something in the DVD section when this jumped out at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment