Thursday, January 7, 2016

Tuesdays With Dorie: Catch-Up for 2015


This has gone on long enough.
The guilt is eating me alive.
Obviously, I'd rather bake than blog about it.
But it's time to come clean.
So, quick as I can, I'll hit up the recipes from 2015.
Some from Baking With Julia, some from Baking Chez Moi.
Let's do this.

Started to lose my way in February:

BCM: Pink Grapefruit Tart 
Luscious and wonderful, but mostly it
brings back memories of many different
components. Coming together. Just
 as my husband was admitted to the
 hospital for 3 days. Sigh.
Sometimes the timing is off and
there's nothing you can do.


Then came MARCH:


BCM: Lemon Madeleines
easier than the BWJ version we made in 2013

BCM: Crispy-Topped Brown Sugar Bars
Seriously? Caramelized rice crispies on top of a cookie
with chocolate? Dorie is a genius. 
Unfortunately, my scraper paid the price
for my inexperience with very hot sugar.

APRIL:

OK, not Tuesdays with Dorie at all. These are the
I don't mind telling you that Ree knows her stuff.


BCM: Limoncello Cupcakes
Confession - never bought a bottle of Limoncello before.
What a great excuse!

BWJ: Sweet Ricotta Pie
Wish I remembered more about this one. Wait -
licorice-flavored liqueur. I do remember. Another trip to
the liquor store. I liked the Limoncello better.

BCM: Coconut Tapioca, the adventure begins. First
try was a total bust. Just nasty.
Went to lots of interesting stores looking for the
large pearl tapioca. Bought them all.
Even the black kind. 
In the end, I never found one that I liked.
Think I'll stick with Minute Tapioca.

MAY:

BCM: Nutella buttons, little nuggets of heaven

BCM: Rhubarb Upside-Down Baby Cakes
Much as I try, upside-down cakes rarely
do it for me. This was no exception.
Not bad, just not my favorite.


A brief intermisson to tell you about the Rolling Stones concert at Georgia Tech in June. Can't remember the last time we went to an outdoor stadium concert. If there was ever a time to sit at the top of the stadium, this was it. Georgia Tech is right in the middle of Atlanta. The night view of the city was fantastic. And the Stones - what can I say? They were amazing! EVERY favorite song. Mick still has the moves and more energy than many men half his age. A couple of pictures, then we'll get back to baking.




JUNE:

Totally not TWD, but aren't these dinosaur
cookies adorable? We were very proud of ourselves.
Picked up the cookie cutters in the gift shop at Fernbank
Natural History Museum. One of our favorite places.

My mother's famous Peach Pie. Technically, it's
the apple pie recipe from the old red-plaid Better
Homes and Gardens cookbook. But with peaches.


There's one TWD recipe I don't seem to have a picture of. Lost in the cross-over between old (Windows) computer and new Macbook. Still haven't figured it all out. But sometime in there BCM's Chocolate-Cherry Brownies got lost. I seem to recall that they needed extra time in the oven. Tasty though. I mean, how could that go wrong?

I did manage to come up with a blog post for the Strawberry Shortcake, Franco-American Style.

Here's a reminder.

JULY:

BWJ: White Chocolate Patty Cake was made at my
sister's house while I was on a visit there. Another 
recipe that seemed unnecessarily... complicated. But
it was good. And it didn't go to waste.


BCM: Vanilla Mango Panna Cotta
One of the easiest recipes of the year. 
Pretty much congealed cream with fruit 
on the bottom. Seemed a little fatty for my taste.


BCM: "Apricot Raspberry Tart"
Actually, this one was Peach Blueberry Tart, 
with an almond cream layer (one of Dorie's suggestions) 

AUGUST:

BWJ: Miniature Florentine Squares
Not at all what I expected. Thought there'd be
spinach involved, LOL! For the record, they were
pretty good little petit fours. Decorated in "Paris"
style by my daughter who had just returned from
5 weeks there, studying art. Color me jealous.


BCM: Cherry Crumb Tart
Finished baking just in time to take it with us to move
art-student daughter into a new apartment at college.
How were we to know that the one thing her new roommate
was allergic to was... wait for it... cherries. What are the odds?

SEPTEMBER:

BCM: Jam-filled Sandwich Cookies
Got their own blog post! This is just a reminder.


BCM: Apple Kuchen
It was good. Husband like it. He's picky.

OCTOBER:

BCM: Tiger Cakes
Mine didn't look quite as good
as the picture in the book, Ha Ha!
Tasted good though. I love little bites.


Another little intermission. We're almost finished. Hang in there. Here are a couple of pictures from the Taylor Swift concert. Because, well, Taylor Swift. We saw her with 56,000 other folks in the Georgia Dome, which is not long for this world. They're building it's replacement now. 



DECEMBER:

BCM: Chocolate Chestnut Tart
with coffee ice cream and
vanilla-chestnut syrup. Ahhh.


BWJ: Vanilla-Hazelnut Cheesecake
I added a crust of Biscoff crumbs and
baked it in a springform pan 
without the water bath. Came out fine.

and finally!...
BCM: Stained Glass Cookies
ta-da!!!

Now that the slate is clean, I feel SO much better! Will honestly try to do better about posting in 2016. Hope everyone has a wonderful year. And now, a shoe. There were so many good ones this year that I haven't shared. That's something to look forward to. For now, a holiday version.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. Must have been wonderful to see the stones. Happy baking this year!

    ReplyDelete